Re: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

Justin A. Kolodziej (4wg7kolodzie@vmsb.csd.mu.edu)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 22:42:11 -0500

David S. Miller wrote:

> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 16:13:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
>
> Right now we have known broken drivers, and some of that breakage is due
> to them just completely incorrectly handling tbusy. I'd like to make a
> clean break by getting rid of it, and re-introducing a thing that is
> documented and not mis-used.
>
> It's way too easy to just add new broken members. We need to clean cruft
> out too.
>
> I agree...
>
> But please give me one answer, how do we deal officially with the
> driver maintenance issue, ie. the Becker problems? I don't want to
> step on toes, at the same time I want to fix all his broken code so
> 2.2.x can be a reality.

I thought that the point of open code was for anyone that wants to fix
problems to be able to without a hassle. My answer would be to go right
ahead, fix all the obviously broken code that you find, and not worry
about what Becker thinks. The only approval that I would consider
getting is Linus's. Of course, make sure that it works the same way
first so that 50 million other lines of code do not need to be
rewritten. Or is that how broken the code is? :)

Justin A. Kolodziej

--
Easiest Color To Solve On A Rubik's Cube:
        Black.  Simply remove all the little colored stickers on the