Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Michael Meissner (meissner@cygnus.com)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 09:14:08 -0400

On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 02:52:44AM +1200, Spudgun wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Vendors will use their dollars (actually a percentage of your dollars ;))
> > to write drivers when it makes commercial sense. Its up to the userbase
> > to make it commercial sense.
> >
> > And especially with new machines users have a lot of clout. Several UK
> > suppliers now carry Buslogic cards partly because they got fed up of
> >
> > "I'd like to order a dual PII/300, 256Mb of RAM, 17" monitor
> > 4 4Gig IBM disks, and a buslogic scsi controller"
> > "We dont do buslogic only adaptec"
> > "Nothing else"
> > "Sorry"
> > [Click]
>
> But to add to the paranoia
> Adaptec are mentioned in thye list of people behind this idea.
> they won't give away the spec
> but they will write a driver for us ?
> wouldn't it jsut be easier for them to open their spec up ??
> *shrug*

You the Linux community seems rather consistent in remembering old problems,
even when that problem is fixed. In the case of Adaptec (as has been mentioned
on this forum for about 4 months now), they are working with Doug Ledford now,
presumably in part due to the number of complaints they received from the Linux
community. If however, when a company changes its tune and does work the free
software community, and is still painted with the 'bad' brush, it doesn't give
them much incentive to work further with us in the future. I still see posts
about Diamond and Matrox (though with the G100 they might be slipping back) not
working with the Xfree folks.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA