Re: Treat UDI like STREAMS ?

Jim Freeman (jfree@sovereign.org)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 11:13:30 -0600 (MDT)

> On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Jim Freeman wrote:
> > Alan writes:
> > > Im not interested in UDI ...
> >
> > Perhaps the kernel could treat UDI like it treats STREAMS - not
> > included in the kernel sources proper, but has the hooks to
> > accommodate the UDI framework as a loadable module? So UDI
> > would be available to those with a distinct need, but not the
> > officially sanctioned "Linux Way (tm)".
>
> How about a UDI-loader module? That is, it is a module that loads UDIs
> drivers into the system. Then I can simply say 'N' to never build it. ;o)

My proposal was that the UDI-loader module (the UDI framework) be
a module itself, but that like STREAMS, the source for the framework
module is not included in (only accommodated by) the kernel.

This lets linux users exploit drivers in corner cases, but not be
exploited by possibly untrusted commercial UDI touters.

...jfree