Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Sun, 20 Sep 1998 17:46:13 +0100

On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 12:31:32PM +1000, Benjamin Grosman wrote:
> > Vendors can lie and point fingers about bugs in their binary drivers.
> >
> > 'It's not a bug in our driver, it's a kernel bug'.
>
> They can point all they want. The truth of the matter, however, will be
> that the kernel source is open and available for perusal.

A hypothetical lie has been spread which causes millions of purchasers
to buy a non-Linux operating system. Thousands fewer people do not take
an interest in the kernel. (Only a tiny proportion of users will ever
be interested). There are fewer developers, and less demand for freely
available hardware information. Linux dies through lack of interest.

The effects are real. Does the truth matter?

> If they are going to make accusations like that, then they had better
> be prepared to quote source filenames and line numbers where it is
> supposedly a kernel bug, or their credibility will be damaged even
> further.

Your argument applies only when "they" are in the minority. Right now,
"they" have significant effect on the market, which you could call
credibility among the majority. What you or I say to prove them wrong,
even if they are very wrong, is mostly lost in the noise.

> I for one would think twice about buying from a manufacturer who released
> a binary only UDI driver, were unwilling to even put enough effort
> into that to get as many bugs out as possible, and then went and blamed
> their incompetency/lack of testing on others.

I believe you are in the minority. Most people, I think, just want to
play with their toys. Whatever works and is cheap, they will use it.

-- Jamie