Re: PTRACE_POKEDATA on PROT_NONE hangs kernel

Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:19:46 +0100

On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 11:17:27PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Right. The above pages it in if it isn't present. In this case, it does
> nothing, because the page _is_ present (as far as the kernel is
> concerned), it's just marked non-present as far as hardware is concerned
> in order to get the right PROT_NONE permissions.

Do all of those non-atomic tests, actions and following the chain of
page table entries work ok when ptracing a cloned process?

I've no idea, it just looks a bit dodgy to me. Perhaps I don't
understand the power of lock_kernel().

-- Jamie