Re: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

Alex Korobka (korobka@galaxy.ams.sunysb.edu)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:13:13 -0400 (EDT)

> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> >
> > Actually, there is one problem now, which makes this discussion
> > academic. We stand on the edge now. Seems, it is not widely known
> > fact, but current Linux CANNOT handle >~100Mbit interfaces.
>
> It seems that you're not aware that people are already doing ATM and
> getting reasonable throughputs (apparently mainly limited by memory
> bandwidth).
>
> We may have too small receive queues (I think they default to something
> like ten packets), but I doubt we have any fundamental problems.
>
> Linus

FYI, the best we could get with Packet Engines GNIC was around 180Mbps.
Essential Networks card wasn't doing much better either. The systems
we tried them on were dual PII 300.

Alex