Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:38:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> If I understand the idea of UDI correctly, in this case _everybody_ would
> have crippled drivers, not only Linux.
> Naturally one could check the system type and turn on/off the CrapFlag
> (tm), especially in binary-only drivers.

But since most corporate decision-makers don't know that
there are differences between the Unices, there's no point
in ruining the major selling point of all Unix systems:
reliability.

The systems have a name that 'sounds-alike', so you behaviour
shown by one system will reflect on another Unix system, if
only because the management folks don't know the difference :)

All-in-all, such a crap_on() feature would be bad...

Rik.