Re: pre-2.1.123-1

Garst R. Reese (reese@isn.net)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:18:27 -0300

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <36047CB0.3037E543@isn.net>, Garst R. Reese <reese@isn.net> wrote:
> >On startx I get this:
> >xinit: Not a directory (error 20) no program named
> >/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc in PATH
> >Looks like the new symlink stuff.
>
> I'd need a complete strace of this for it to be useful. Something like
>
> root# strace -o xtrace -f startx
This starts up X to get the grey screen, but xinitrc does not run.
I copied xinitrc to root/.xinitrc and /home/garst/.xinitrc and then
everything worked running as root, but still failed running as user
garst.
I never run X as root.

> and then if you could search for the ENOTDIR and send me the output
> immediately around that I'd be happy.

It does not get to the problem, so no references to ENOTDIR in xtrace.

> Oh, and tell me all the symlinks in question for whatever filename that
> causes it.. strace won't show it, but that's crucial.
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit is not a symlink.

> (2.1.123-1 is much more strict wrt symlinks. The strictness should be
> correct, and it may be that you just had a broken setup that happened to
> work before. But I want to see what it says)
This was originally a Slackware 96 setup.

--
Garst