Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Vladimir Dergachev (vladimid@blue.seas.upenn.edu)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:33:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Have you thought of suing ATI - I'd have thought you'd have a valid case
> > in that they sold you a piece of equipment that's supposed to work, and
> > seeing as they don't do drivers for Linux, then technically, they're
> > guilty of selling you a 'faulty' product. Good luck. Lawyers seems to have
> > a good effect on pointy-haired managers. ;o)
>
> The box will Im sure have a "for windows 95" message on it. And sueing
> people wont change their philosophy any more than shooting people. Surely
> software engineers are brighter than governments...

It wasn't a box. I just bought a part from a company, OEM packaging.

And as to the suing it's cheaper to by a bt848 card.. less than a $100.
or Windows to run the tv.

> In the UK if you specifically state you are ordering the product for a Linux
> box and it isnt supported then yes you can send it back since its "unfit
> for the purpose for which it was sold". But thats about it. If you just
> said "for my PC" I doubt anyone would take you seriously other than the fact
> most shops would have the decency to be nice to you.

The good thing is that neither software nor hardware came with any
copyright notices ;)

On the other hand I still can't get dosemu to run the dmpi test program
they supplied.

> There is at least a dialog between ATI and people. I've no idea if anything
> will ever come of it.

Well, so far I am telling people not to buy ATI.. That's the result.

Vladimir Dergachev