Re: PTRACE_POKEDATA on PROT_NONE hangs kernel

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:03:24 -0400

Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> I have two ideas for a solution:
>
> #1 change the semantics of ptrace put_long. ptrace get_long has no
> problem: check for _PAGE_PROTNONE and return 0 specifically for that
> case (same semantics). ptrace put_long would check for _PAGE_PROTNONE
> and return -EFAULT or a similar error. I don't like this very much
> but it does make ptrace conform to the "PROTNONE is never mapped"
> constraint.

This seems reasonable to me. It doesn't matter what ptrace does to a
PROTNONE page, as the child process won't be able to read it anyway.
Returning -EFAULT would let ptrace know that the memory can't be
accessed.

Regards,
Bill