Re: Today Linus redesigns the networking driver interface (was Re: tulip driver in ...)

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:33:26 +1200

On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 03:05:11PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> I've been working on two things where hard real time is an
> important matter. That is localtalk cards and dumb synchronous
> cards. The former requires I hit 90uS or so worst case latency on
> receive, the latter to do 2Mbits is even tighter.

IMO, if linux on a PII/300 can't do either of these reliably - we
look pretty bad when a 68K/20 can do either or both of these with a
different OS (MacOS/IOS).

Yes - I know its apples and oranges - but world domination isn't
going to come easy.

-cw