Re: xdm not seeing localhost

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:34:02 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:

> Essentially, you try to prove that chooser works only in linux 2.0.
> Well, it is not true 8)8)

No. It works in 2.1 - but not in certain circumstances where the
lack of any way to change IFF_BROADCAST prevents it doing what
people reasonably want.

> If you wrote application, which uses BSD API, but does not work
> in BSD, you wrote buggy application.

I don't understand. Does the BSD API say you cannot turn on
IFF_BROADCAST on a dummy interface? Does it say you cannot
turn it off on a real interface come to that? Many, many
programs use the BSD API and expect broadcast to be seen
by the local machine. I do not remember anything that requires
all machines to have a real, physical interface though.

> If in some situations
> chooser works only in linux, its authors supposed that it must
> not work in this situation, and cheating it would be bug.
> It would be better to ask chooser maintainers, what they meaned.

It's in the XDMCP protocol. A broadcast is sent out. All xdms
receiving the broadcast are required to respond with their
willingness to manage the broadcasting display. The bug is
that Linux 2.1 cannot see its own broadcast if there is no
real, physical interface which defaults to IFF_BROADCAST.

> If you want that an app. always worked, fixing it is very simple:
> scan interface list and search for all interfaces
> with IFF_BROADCAST or IFF_POINTOPOINT and send requests to broadcast
> address for broadcast ones and to PtP address for PtP.
> If nothing is found, send to the first encountered local address
> or to loopback, depending on your taste.

XDMCP is implemented not just in xdm but also X servers, commercial
xdms like scologin etc. It has been around *years*. I refuse to
consider it broken simply because Linux 2.1 can no longer change
the broadcast flag on an interface! Please, go to one of the
X news groups and tell them that XDMCP is broken!

I suspect there are other protocols that break ("do not work as
expected") in the absence of a broadcast capable interface. SMB
on a disconnected lap top might be a candidate?

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |