Re: Today Linus redesigns the networking driver interface (was Re: tulip driver in ...)

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:16:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

>BTW: if you're idling, that doesn't mean that BH's are called before
>the next timer tick. AFAIK do_bottom_half() is only called on return
>from syscall/interrupt and when rescheduling.
>Waiting for the next timer tick would be horrible for latency,
>though.

If you queue the handler in the timer_bh OK, you are sure that the bh will
be marked (in the worst case after 1/HZ sec). All other bh has not timeout
so if you don' t mark it and there are not other code that mark it
_incidentally_ the bh handler will never run. This is what I understand
from the code.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli