Re: patch cow-swapin [was Re: Very bad swap bug -- 2.0, 2.1 at least]

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:22:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998 teamwork@freemail.c3.hu wrote:

>Answering question # 1 and # 2, Andrea, whichever way the patch takes is fine
>with me, as long as they improve 2.0.x

Unfortunately the swapin-parent for 2.0 has a bug (I am not sure if it
would work fine in 2.1.x instead since the swap cache code of 2.1 is very
more clever). The bug should be not fatal but I guess it can cause some
problem (eventually only a not frequent swap memleak or so). Right now I
am playing with the swap code of 2.1.122. Once I' ll be idle I' ll take a
look at the swap cache code of 2.0 (I never seen it) to understand what
was wrong with my swapin-parent for 2.0.

And btw, I completly agree with Linus with "if you want to run fast run
2.1" (the only my point is that I worked hard for two days for develop the
swapin-parent code so I' d _like_ to have if bugfree now ;-).

>Anyway, you have my appreciation for your hardworks.
>
>Thanks again !

;-).

Andrea[s] Arcangeli