Re: tapefs

Jens Benecke (jens@mail.conetix.de)
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 11:59:47 +0200

Am Mon, 21 Sep 1998 schriebst Du:

>> Something which IMHO would be much more interesting would be a cdrfs, like Spica
>> CD Manager (Windows) or RSJ CD Writer (OS/2). You mount the CDR, it allocates a
>> buffer on hard disk (20MB default), you cp, mv, ls, rm on this mounted CDR, it
>> writes to the buffer and when the buffer is full, it burns a track on CDR. If
>> the buffer keeps filling (e.g. a cp -a job), it just keeps burning, if the
>> buffer empties, it closes the track and waits for it to fill up again. For file
>> system it allocates a 1MB track at the beginning of the CDR which is being
>> written at umount time.
> Hmm, nice. It might be nice to do this in generic way: kind of overlay
> fs. You have local hdd and nfs. You decide to have 20MB cache for nfs
> on local disk...

sure. If I knew anything about programming, I'd have done it long ago ... <g>

buffering slow media on fast ones has already been done, it's called cache.
Now we are talking about buffering _very_ slow media on _medium_ fast ones. I
wonder if that is so much different or if one could simply extend the
filesystem cache code ...

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________http://www.pinguin.conetix.de_

cat /dev/boiler/water | tea | sieve > /cup mount -t hdev /dev/human/mouth01 /mouth cat /cup >/mouth/gulp __________________________________________________________________________________