Re: Scheduling Times --- Revisited

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:07:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 1998 at 12:46:56PM +0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > Adding another one for RT tasks won't be a problem, all we
> > have to do is make sure that the highest-priority RT task
> > is up front (this shouldn't be hard as a proper RT system
> > doesn't have more than 1 RT task on the queue, because of
> > that the overhead will be absolutely minimal).
>
> Don't count on that. More and more desktop-level applications need
> good RT capabilities, everything that looms under the "multimedia"
> label. Games come to mind, and video/audio applications too. As soon
> as Linux gets good user-level capabilities, they will be used.

These RT tasks don't have to be real time. Normal timeslicing
priorities are good enough if you have the CPU. If you don't
you're screwed anyway. Only for audio apps I can see why
people want RT (x11amp comes to mind), but for things like
video and games you're going to be dependant on the (non-RT)
X server so going RT for these tasks is moot.

Rik.