Re: 2.0.x kernel denial of service via VFAT longnames

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 07:44:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Vitaly Fedrushkov wrote:

> I found a way to commit kernel denial of service via certain (strictly
> legal) file operation(s) on vfat fs.

I wonder if your /tmp filesystem is on a different IDE hard disk on the
same IDE channel? I found that doing a badblock check on my 2nd hard disk
(which died yesterday lunchtime with a shitload of bad sectors - threw it
out after successive badblock scans kept growing the list of bad sectors!)
on the same channel rendered my machine unuseable during badblock's
writing phases.

Reading doesn't have this delerious effect though.

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.1.122 #43 Sat Sep 19 10:54:36 EDT 1998 libc 2.0.96 One AMD 486 DX/4 processor, 49.77 total bogomips, 32M RAM