Re: amdk6-2,ASUS P5A (ALI V) and Linux

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Vicente_Mar=EDa_Arteaga_G=F3mez?= (se03726@salleURL.edu)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 21:17:16 +0100 (WETDST)

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Jan Kritzner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I´m experiencing almost the same problems as Koos Vriezen, except by the
> /var/log/messages - entries:
>
> gcc gets a signal 11 when I try to compile a kernel.
>
> Tried with gcc 2.7.2.1 & 2.7.2.3.f.1 under both kernels 2.0.35 & 2.1.121
>
> DOS-Programs show no Errors, everything else is fine, too
>
> BTW: Another make bzImage from any tty will break at the same file /
> workaround is switching to x-Terminal and compiling there - will break
> after some time, too, but switching back to tty and re-starting it there
> will work around the next error and so on...
>
> Hardware: Asus P5A with Aladdin V AGPset / AMD K6-2 300Mhz / 64MB 100
> Mhz compatible memory (vendor is considered to be reliable) / Spea
> Mirage P64V gfx-board (S3 968)
>

> Jan Kritzner

Just trying to keep the numbers, I do have a AOpen AX59Pro (MVP3 Chipset),
with an AMD K6-2 300Mhz, 64MB 100Mhz, a Virge DX /4 MB, with the bus at
100Mhz. No simm, as they weren't recognized correctly by the board
(reported 16 Mb when having 64 Mb). And I don't experience any problem.
I can compile the kernel, run any program (number crunchers, mail-reader,
netscape navigator,...), and I don't notice anything special.
I haven't tried to keep the computer up and running for more than one day,
but I've been running a math intensive program during half a day (which
should hace heated the processor), and I haven't run into any problem nor
signal11.
If I experience anything unusual I will report it, but until then ...
Regards

---