Re: 2.1.123 and fbcon.c

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 19:29:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:
> >
> > How about allowing the fixes in? Broken kernels, or, more
> > correctly, kernels with broken console code, suk.
>
> Yes. I applied the small patch already. It may be broken, but at least
> somebody tried to make a minimal patch which was more than other people
> have done so far.
>
> Linus

Sorry if I sounded rude, as I probably did. I just don't
know how vger differs precisely from the official tree,
so it's hard for me to get a solid grasp on whether vger has
1) better concole code 2) different console code or
3) other stupid differences. Sorry for making uninformed
pleas to sync up with vger. I was under the impression
that the vger tree was just "more up to date console code",
as it has been presented to be.

As stated, I don't have CVS due to firewall restrictions,
and so I can't even begin to compare the two. Can someone
clue me in on vger a little more??? I guess what I [along
with everyone else who doesn't actually run a vger kernel]
would like to know is what is different, is it just the
console code? How far apart are they [the two trees]?
Why has Linus, in your opinion not synced up with vger for
quite some time?, Or, more appropriately, what reasons has
he stated in the past? I'm just curious, and please don't
take this as a criticism to anyone.

Please, don't point to that damn README.CVS again. It doesn't
answer ANY questions other than saying firewallers like me are
screwed unless they are given more access.

"For those of you behind firewalls, you will need access to
TCP port 2401 on vger from your machine." DAMN IT!!!

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2077 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2096 for the rich and the dead.
845 days remaining in the Raw Deal.