Re: HELP! ext2 errors... :-(

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:46:16 -0400

From: Ricardo Kleemann <ricardo@americasnet.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:46:32 EDT

> Here are the types of errors I see in messages:
> free_one_pmd: bad directory entry 00000029
> free_one_pmd: bad directory entry 08cea798
>
> This tends to indicate memory corruption problems, and is unrelated to
> the disk problems below....

Hmmm maybe some problematic RAM? Is that possible?

It could be problematic RAM; it could also be a problem in your cache
memory or your cache controller. Also given that you were also having
problems with your SCSI disk (although I haven't seen the specific error
messages), it's possible that there's something screwy with your actual
system bus on the motherboard. This is all speculation, though.

The IDE errors look like an independent problem, though. If the IDE
controller is reporting a BadSector status, then there's clearly at
least one bad spot on your disk.

Hmmm it is a new system, brand new supermicro P6DBE dual 400... I
tend to think the mobo itself is good, these errors don't happen
continuously. Could it be related to bad ram?

It'd be nice at least to do some sort of ram verification, to narrow
down the issues.

There are some memory diagnostics floating around, but unfortunately
many of these problems only show up when the memory system is stressed;
which doesn't happen when you're using Windows, or when you're using
most memory testers.

That's why running Linux and trying to do kernel compiles is often the
best memory test. :-)

- Ted