Re: utility for testing ram?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:17:48 +0200 (MEST)

Henrik Olsen wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone know of a utility to extensively test a system's ram, in order to
> > determine whether the ram has any faults?
>
> The classic test is to compile the kernel repeatedly, as mentioned several
> times before, this will give the machine a thorough workout, including
> running at close to 100% cpu use for a long time, making for no cooldown
> in idling, which will make marginal components even more likely to fail.
>
> A simple script to do continuous testing would be:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> while true
> do
> make clean
> make
> done
>
> Start it running overnight, if it's still running when you wake up, your
> memory's likely to be ok.

No.

MOst likely gcc will crash, give an aborted message and the make
aborts the current build, but your make clean, next make will clear all
traces of this going wrong....

Try this:

#!/bin/sh
t=0
while true
do
make clean
make 2>&1 > log.$t
t=`expr $t + 1`
done

The logs should end up all being identical.....

Roger.

--
| Most people would die sooner than think....  |    R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
| in fact, most do.  -- Bertrand Russsell      |     phone: +31-15-2137555
We write Linux device drivers for any device you may have! fax: ..-2138217