Re: Personalities and progress

Michael Talbot-Wilson (mtw@calypso.view.net.au)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:27:46 +0930 (CST)

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Eric Princen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to quickly state that when geniuses come together, there are
> going to be conflicts. Strong egos can be both good and bad things, so lets
> just make sure we understand the way things are. I'm sure there is a good
> amount of pressure Linus is going through at Transmeta with the mystery
> chip(s) and trying to get 2.2.0 out sometime this millenium. He has final
> say on Linux. Period. It's his baby. Sometimes we may need to step back and

If a clueless onlooker can get half a word into this colloquy of
geniuses, there is no point in vger if the vger patches can't go in
unexamined by Linus. If it is admitted that Linus can
absolutely demand that bugs and bloat found to have been added
be taken out in the next vger patch file accepted, the remaining
problem (if I guess rightly) is that he thinks he may be embarrassed
by stuff that he didn't know was there, that he has decided must
come out, but that there is not yet any replacement for and that
some people have become dependent on.

Remember Richard Gooch's furious complaints when stuff he had based
his development on was taken out without notice to him.

The way forward may be threefold.

(a) Promote Linus even higher into the pantheon of the gods by
agreeing here that when he requires anything whatsoever taken out it
is done without any discussion, and that those who complain in the
list about it are to be ignored.

(b) Expand the role of the Changes editor to clearly designate
unapproved vger functionality in the official kernel.

(c) Agree that in any case Linus is not bound by his approval or
acceptance of any patch to the development kernel.

--Mike