Re: Personalities and progress

Vladimir Dergachev (vladimid@red.seas.upenn.edu)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 00:09:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Tim Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, John Alvord wrote:
> > One way to spare Linus a bit is NOT to cc: him automatically, especially
> > on contentious issues (regardless of merit).
>
> Actually, I don't see any reason to either CC or send directly to anyone
> involved in a discussion on this list. Why not send *only* to the list?
> If you send to both the list and a person, either directly or via CC,
> they just end up seeing the message twice.
>
> I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general, isn't sending only to the
> list the best thing to do?

There are some mailers that included the sender in the Cc: address. The
reason is that the destination address is not you, but linux-kernel so the
mailer thinks that you got a Cc'ed copy.

Another reason is that I noticed that I get the Cc'ed copy much faster
then the one sent to linux-kernel, apparently there is a delay (sometimes
several hours) for messages to get thru linux-kernel.

Vladimir Dergachev