Re: BogoMIPS

Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:02:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

> > Therefore, I had to hack around with '486s, '586s, and '686s to find
> > a jump combination that would work. You can easly muck with this
> > in user-mode and test all possible combinations. Take out the second
> > jump and you will have bobble on Pentium II (Klamath) machines. Take
> > out all jumps and just align the function and you will have problems
> > with everything except '486s. Don't align the function and you
> > will have problems even with '486s.
>
> What does your patch fix? Delay loop variances across udelay() calls
> or across different kernel builds?

Since udelay() is now a function, no longer in-line, whatever the udelay
is, should remain the same across calls regardless of alignment. What
the patch does is make sure it's the same across builds. A lot of
persons complained that such-and-such kernel had 123 BogoMIPS, but the
latest kernel only has 100 BogoMIPS, etc. Then there would be many
persons responding; "BogoMIPS doesn't really mean anything...", etc.
The idea of this patch was to quiet this noise permanently.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.123 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).