Re: Linus is on a powertrip..

Tim Smith (tzs@tzs.net)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:50:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> > How about a moderated newsgroup (with several moderators to keep that
> > from becoming a bottleneck)? This would make it easy for people to
>
> Not everybody can access newsgroups. On the other hand a moderated
> newslist (is there a such thing ??) may be a reasonable idea.

It's possible to gateway a newsgroup onto a mailing list. That way, people
who can get access to the newsgroup can read it with newsreaders, which are
better able to handle high volumes than mail readers, and those who can't
can get the mailing list version.

I've heard that there is software one can run locally to take a mailing
list and convert it to a local newsgroup, so one can read a mailing list
with a newsreader. I don't know how good such software is, though, since
mail doesn't have a references line, like news does, to make threading
easy. It would be possible, I suppose, for a sophisticated program to
examine the quoting in each mailing list message and figure out what
each is a response to, and syntehsis references information that way, but
I don't know if any of the mail --> news software is that smart.

--Tim Smith