Re: Reducing the pressure

Simon Kenyon (simon@koala.ie)
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 08:53:12 +0100 (BST)

On 30-Sep-98 Larry McVoy wrote:
> OK, so this is a policy decision, right? Because there is no such limit
> in what I'm doing, I think you are basically saying "big patches are
> probably bad". I don't have an opinion on that one way or the other,
> that's policy. In this system, I'm Mr Mechanism...

perhaps what is needed is a tool which can allow for the "automagic"
application of a patch

- extract the patch from a file (mail message or whatever)
- show the text which is "outside" the actual patch
- show the list of files that it touches
- indicate whether it will go in clean and highlight those files where there
are conflicts/fuzz
- show each individual patch hunk and the before and after code
- provide a "big red switch" with apply/reject/"mail a question back to the
user"/"store to one side for a mo" options

would make applying/filtering patches a *lot* easier

or does such a tool exist?
i could see all the people at the apex of the pyramid using it

give it a nice GUI (well we have to have a war about the implementation
language, gui toolkit [tcl/tk, java, kde or gtk] and whathaveyou) and bob's your
uncle (well actually john is :-)

--
simon
can i write it? maybe!