Re: 2.1.123 and fbcon.c

John Alvord (jalvo@cloud9.net)
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:11:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Pekka Pietik{inen wrote:

> On Oct 1, 8:06am, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> >
> > > Linus deserves a customized mail client. Someone in the local area
> > > ought to consider hacking the software Linus already uses. The SVLUG
> > > would be perfect for it, with plenty of people that could discuss
> > > the issue face-to-face. For example, function keys could be useful:
> > >
> > > F1 applied
> > > F2 corrupt
> > > F3 obsolete
> > > F4 wait for 2.3.xx
> > > F5 send to person listed in MAINTAINERS file
> > > F6 remove me from the Cc: list
> > > F7 maybe later, no time right now
> > >
> Dear patch submitter
>
> Your patch has been received and has been
>
> ( ) accepted
> ( ) put into consideration
> ( ) discarded
> ( ) teared into pieces and burned
>
> If the patch wasn't accepted the reason was
>
> ( ) I wasn't even able to read the patch because it was corrupted
> ( ) Have you ever heard the word codefreeze?
> ( ) I found ___ bugs just by reading the patch quickly
> ( ) The patch has been obsoleted
> ( ) the idea was good, but I'd like to see it done in a different way
> ( ) 'cause it sucked. A lot.
>
> If you want to see your patch in the standard kernel you should
>
> ( ) Wait for 2.3.x
> ( ) Send it through the proper maintainer
> ( ) reconsider how you are doing it
> ( ) learn how to code first
> ( ) know that there's no way I'll ever accept something like this
>
> Additional comments:
>
> --
I don't see how a push button response is possible. In the simplest cases,
a patch must be examined closely, the context has to be understood,
possible ramifications explored, the patch has to be applied to a kernel,
the kernel has to build and work. Discovering whether it "works" is
another whole matter: some patches need special environments,benchmarking,
evaluation of results. Some patches need external testing. Only after
a (potentially) long process can a patch be accepted.

So a point of reception response is impractical.

John Alvord

Music, Management, Poetry and more...
http://www.candlelist.org/kuilema

Cheap CDs @ http://www.cruzio.com/~billpeet/MusicByCandlelight