Re: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?

Andrew J. Scott (A.J.Scott@casdn.neu.edu)
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:27:49 -0400

On 28 Sep 98, at 10:25, Chris Zwilling wrote:

> On 28 Sep 1998 ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:
>
> > PPro, while a good CPU is getting old, the Quad board costs $1000, and
> > the PII is probably cheaper. You should be able to put together a dual
> > PII at 350MHz for the price of the Quad board alone, it will be as fast,
> > and have higher memory bandwidth etc for free.
> >

> The Pro is getting old, but current benchmaks show that MHz for MHz
> running 32bit code (eg: Linux) it WILL smoke the PII (same MHz). Also,
> the PII can not be scaled past two processors.

The is a PPro overdrive now, that ups the clock to 333Mhz, with 512 Cache.
Don't know how much of an improvement this will make in real world apps,
but it should offer some improvement. Also compgeeks is selling older
tech IBM 704 machine, quad PPro (one installed) dual channel (aic 7800
based) untra scsi, 256 M. ram (upgrade to 2G.), 12 3.5 sca hot swap drive
bays. I would think this would make a pretty good server. There's a
version with hardware raid, but it's probably not supported by Linux.

------------------Mailed via Pegasus 2.53 & Mercury 1.30---------------
A.J.Scott@casdn.neu.edu Fax (617)373-2942
Andrew Scott Tel (617)373-5278 _
Northeastern University--138 Meserve Hall / \ /
College of Arts & Sciences-Deans Office / \ \ /
Boston, Ma. 02115 http://www.casdn.neu.edu / \_/