Re: [OT] Linux's growing pains

Stephen Williams (steve@icarus.com)
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 10:47:31 -0700

oxymoron@waste.org said:
> That sounds more like an argument for automatic compile testing than
> against.

Actually, Linux has compiled fine for alphas (w/ egcs 1.1) since 2.1.1xx,
the problem is none of these kernels actually *runs* longer then a few
minutes. (Actually, 102 seems to be working pretty well on my PC164.)

And yes, I have personally tried every version from 102 on.

Since testing kernels can be hard, a non-technical solution might be to
have a place where test results are collected. A form I (and other glob
flies) can fill in reporting how well the kernel works on the configuration
at hand.

steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,