Re: Storage Limitations

Thomas Davis (tadavis@lbl.gov)
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 14:02:30 -0700

Rob Penrose wrote:

> What storage limitations exist on Linux-ix86 systems besides the 2GB
> limitation per file? Is there a partition size limitation?
>
> I've been experimenting with a ~300GB Fibre channel Raid array and have
> experienced problems beginning with partitions of 10GB or more... I can
> create large partitions with fdisk, but mke2fs appears to suffer from a
> limitation. I would appreciate any information/tips/pointers that this
> list may be willing to share.
> TIA,

without knowing what version of mke2fs your using, it could be anything.

I just created several 56gigabyte volume sets using 4 Ultra IDE drives
(don't ask - they are literally *SCRATCH* systems)

mke2fs worked fine on them. It's all running on a Redhat 5.1 system,
with kernel 2.1.122 (need the knfs support)

Thomas Davis