Re: jitterbug

The Doctor What (docwhat@gerf.org)
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 12:22:41 -0500

On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 12:39:58PM +1000, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
> > I think it's already been established that just about anything
> > we do here needs to take some of the load OFF of Linus, yes JitterBug is
> > nice, but it needs to take some of the load off of Linus, or at least
> > not add to it.
> > The question is, how to do both? Is there a simple way to have
> > JitterBug look for something like 'STATUS: Pending' at the beginning of
> > one of these email's from Linus? That takes away all of the 'mousing
> > around' for status updates at least.
>
> I'd be happy to implement that if Linus wants it, but I'm not sure
> that he does. It just replaces mousing around with keyboard work.

Well...we should ask Linus what he'd like to do: If he saves a patch and
actually uses the patch, then we could have JB add a section to the patch
that creates a shell script someplace where Linus can execute it and
respond to the question "Accept it? (y/n)" or something similar.

On the other hand, we could set it up so that there is some other email
solution (replying to one of two mail messages) or something.

I have to admit that using some of the "auto-filetering" and
"auto-checking" schemes mentioned elsewhere does sound interesting (I
admit it, I love cool things like that), but the part that makes it most
interesting is that we can *automatically* add a layers of administrative
support before it hits Linus.

Things like send Document patches here, adding warnings about how many
files/directories patched, etc.

The goal is, after all, to make Linus' life more to his liking (whether
that's easier and productive, or otherwise).

Ciao!
docwhat@gerf.org