Re: Linus is on a powertrip..

Peter Mutsaers (plm@xs4all.nl)
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 22:09:58 +0200 (MET DST)

>> "TYT" == Theodore Y Ts'o <tytso@MIT.EDU> writes:

TYT> And if you consider the number of political fights which have
TYT> cropped up over the years concerning the direction of the OS,
TYT> and who is allowed to have commit rights and who is allowed
TYT> to be on the core team, I'm rather gald that Linux has not
TYT> taken the BSD route.

Something of the past now.

TYT> Who many political fights have they had, and how bad are
TYT> they? Well, the nastiest of them spawned the original
TYT> FreeBSD/NetBSD split, and the OpenBSD split later on. And to
TYT> this day there are occasional arguments amongst the *BSD
TYT> folks about who is stealing credit from whom, and who is
TYT> taking patches from whom, etc.

NetBSD and FreeBSD split off years ago (4?). Since then, the FreeBSD
world has been pretty quiet wrt such issues.

TYT> It's funny --- the BSD folks say that they don't like the GPL
TYT> because they want to let anybody use their code; yet when the
TYT> OpenBSD crowd start taking NetBSD patches and applying them

I was only talking about FreeBSD; I don't know (or care) much about
the others.

Also, GPL is a different matter. I in fact do like the GPL and don't
care about such discussions (though I think the time waisted on them
is a shame, but who am I to criticize the way others like to spend
their time).

TYT> P.S. And for us Linux developers, we should take heart
TYT> knowing that as bad as some of our internal disagreements
TYT> have gotten, I don't think our worse disagreements have ever
TYT> gotten as bad as the worst of the internecine BSD conflicts.

I don't know. Those conflicts were from before my FreeBSD time (I was
using Linux 4 years ago and had been using it for years back then) but
since at least 4 years I haven't seen any real conflicts at all.

--
 /\_/\
( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust me, I know