Re: More fuel to the fire [Linus' aesthetic DOES scale!]

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 12:11:00 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> >Then maybe it would make sense to make a new rule stating
> >that patches should be submitted by at least 2 developers.
> >
> >No, I don't mean two mails, but I mean two names signing
> >the mail with the patch. That way Linux might be shielded
> >from a lot of stuff that just isn't beautiful or scalable
> >enough.
>
> Signed howso? With PGP?
>
> So I write what I consider a cool patch, and since I solely
> developed it, and am a relative nobody to kernel development
> currently, my patch goes unseen because I don't have a "buddy"
> core developer? Sounds elitist to me...

It also works contrary to the golden rule that "good code can
speak for itself", and this has worked well so far.

The problem Rik is trying to address is when potentially good
code isn't doing a good job of defending itself.

I don't like the solution Rik presents. I'd prefer there be a
rewrite of the code to make its value more obvious.