Re: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
4 Oct 1998 22:00:19 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.199810050305.XAA27278@moisil.cs.columbia.edu>,
Ion Badulescu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>On 4 Oct 1998 15:05:32 -0700, david parsons wrote:
>> In article <linux.kernel.m0zPwOX-000aNdC@the-village.bc.nu>,
>> Alan Cox <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>> [On overcommit]
>>
>> [someone else wrote]

>>>And to boot a machine with 512Mb of RAM you'll need at least 600Mb or
>>>so of swap file.
>>
>> That's one thing I've always wondered about. Why not have the system
>> keep track of total memory instead of wanting to mirror memory onto
>> swap? It seems to me that if you have 512mb of core and 128mb of
>> swap that you've got 640mb of memory and you should be able to do
>> allocations against that, since either a page will be in core or
>> on the swap device.
>
>Or on both.

That's a performance optimisation, though, which you can blow away
as the system fills up. Yes, things will run slower when memory
gets congested, but they already do, albeit in a fairly steep "oh,
no more memory so we'll just lock the machine up as we scramble for
free pages" manner.

____
david parsons \bi/ Though I've not played around with recent 2.1.1xx
\/ kernels, so I'm not confident of recent performance.