[OFF-TOPIC but IMO necessary] 'Reply-to' braindamage.

David Woodhouse (David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com)
Mon, 05 Oct 1998 13:40:50 +0100

Sorry to bring this up on the list, but this needs to be stopped.

David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com said:
> My apologies for sending the previous item regarding this to the list -
> I'm sure I hit "Reply to sender", but something seems to be broken -
> possibly me as it's almost tomorrow.

I didn't contribute the the recent thread about it, as I assumed that the idea
of Reply-to munging would be stomped upon from a great height. I didn't expect
the list administrators to actually _implement_ the bloody thing.

_PLEASE_ could this be stopped.

Alternatively, could someone set up an alternative mailing list forwards the
posts from linux-kernel without the offending Reply-to line. (The current l-k
setup does still include the original one if it exists.)

For those who haven't read http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html ,
here's a copy of the mail I sent to owner-linux-kernel as soon as I realised
what was going on:

dwmw2@devel2.axiom.internal said:
> Please could the reply-to header insertion be turned off?
>
> I've just fired off a message to the list that I intended to be
> private. I suspect we'll see a lot of extra traffic that way if the
> reply-to headers remain.
>
> Also, I always prefer to have personal replies to threads I'm involved
> in, because if it goes through vger it's slow and I may not even
> notice the response if I'm busy, and just browsing the mailing list.
>
> Those who prefer _not_ to have personal replies have the option of
> adding a Reply-To header to their own mail, but that doesn't work the
> other way round.
>
> I must admit, I didn't follow the recent thread very closely, because
> I assumed the request would be dismissed out of hand. But in summary,
> this is what I thought the conclusions _would_ be.
>
> Reply-to munging.
> ----------------
>
> For
> ---
>
> 1. People who don't auto-filter their mail and also don't bother to
> set their own reply-to headers no longer receive multiple
> copies of mails.
>
> Against
> -------
>
> 1. People who do filter mail and do set their mailer up properly cannot
> do anything to prevent the fact that they no longer receive
> personal copies of threads in which they are participating.
>
> 2. People who set up fake anti-spam 'From:' addresses with a correct
> 'Reply-To:' address can no longer be mailed personally, even by
> someone who wants to take the trouble to do so.
>
> 3. A large number of people are used to the original behaviour of the
> list, and will continue to accidentally spam the list with
> messages intended to be private.

David Woodhouse David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com Office: (+44) 1223 810302
Project Leader, Process Information Systems Mobile: (+44) 976 658355
Axiom (Cambridge) Ltd., Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge, CB5 0NA, UK.
finger dwmw2@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk for PGP key.