Re: More fuel to the fire [Linus' aesthetic DOES scale!]

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:36:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> >Then maybe it would make sense to make a new rule stating
> >that patches should be submitted by at least 2 developers.
>
> Signed howso? With PGP?

No, by way of having one or more developers send a
positive response to the original writer who includes
a small part of that response in the submission
message going to Linus.

> So I write what I consider a cool patch, and since I solely
> developed it, and am a relative nobody to kernel development
> currently, my patch goes unseen because I don't have a "buddy"
> core developer? Sounds elitist to me...

This means you'll have to send your patch to linux-kernel
first, where it will be improved upon, discussed about
etc... After spending a few days/weeks refining the patch
with more people, it'll be submission time.

It's not elitist, it's simply a case of 'compulsary' peer
review before Linus has to parse and grok the stuff himself.

Rik.