Re: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 16:23:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, D. Schwingel wrote:

> I've been testing Rick's OOM Killer (v2 only 'cause I cannot patch v3)
> and this program works fine (well, maybe "fine" is not the right word)

I've appended it to this message and will put it on my
homepage when I send this message...

> When I tried Rick's patch it killed the leak process every time I
> tested, but my patched system also killed netscape several times when
> the system needed a lot of memory (not out of memory exactly),

This should be fixed in the last version. Note, however,
that it isn't perfect yet and that it still lacks some
good way of determining when we need to start killing and
when not. (consider the correct case of having no free
memory & swap but loads of swap-cached pages and not much
swap I/O going on -- we shouldn't start killing then)

Rik.