RE: need filetype field in directory entries

Justin Randall (logic@ionstorm.com)
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 00:52:16 -0500

This is something an application can handle fine ala magic. If you are
referring to file browsing, then the browser, too, can examine the
first few bytes of a file to determine the file type. Not to knock the
idea of having that all information pre-indexed to expedite a
file-system GUI or other app, but it's not really necessary.

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> In message <199810052000.QAA26886@valhalla.cc.columbia.edu>, "Johan M=
> Andersen
> " writes:
I think it would be nice if I could do something to temporarily conside=
r a certain
file to have a certain type.=A0 In reiserfs style (as I understand it),=
this might
look something like
display random-image.gif/text
text being a pseudofile (I would call it a member function) whose conte=
nts
references random-image's but whose returned filetype is text, so that =
display,=A0 a
generic displayer, will display the image as an ascii dump, which can b=
e very
useful (esp with FITS files, etc.)

Justin "Logic" Randall
Programmer, Networking