Re: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@TEQUILA.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU)
06 Oct 1998 10:28:15 -0400

> On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 09:18:15AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> patterns and kills the faster-growing process.
> Then a program could slowly allocate slow memory chunks till it allocates
> all the available memory and the kernel kills some inocent process that just

Yes. I don't think there is a perfect solution. Only a set of heuristics
such as
- avoid processes that have direct hardware acvcess
- avoid root processes
- avoid daemon processes (uid < 100 or somesuch)
- avoid old processes
- prefer faster-growing processes
- prefer ugly memory-hogs
- ...

I don't know yet what Rik uses as heuristics.
But of course the very first thing you want to do is to make sure that
OOM will not kill your whole system.

Stefan