Re: The /tmp and modules_install saga

Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es)
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 17:29:26 +0200 (MET DST)

"A month of sundays ago Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:"

> On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I've just spent a few minutes fixing this and realised the actual fix
> > is trivial. If you swap the /tmp/ with $$MODLIB/ then it keeps its
> > work files in /lib/modules/... which it _must_ be able to write to anyway
> > if you are going to install modules.
> >
> > End of problem. Patch will go to Linus shortly
>
> Great! Which shows again that posting patches to linux-kernel is good: if there
> are rough edges/security problems/major flaws, someone will fix it :-)

But I don't like this "fix". Thou shalt not work in /lib. My root directory is
small and deliberately so. /tmp is the right place to do this work. Just
do a mktemp() first from a small C program to give ourselves a subdirectory
workspace that is untampered with.

And what happens on make clean or abort? Do we delete all the .o files in the
workspace? :-)

Peter