Re: NCR53C8XX 3.0g fixes.

Mr. James W. Laferriere (babydr@baby-dragons.com)
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 11:16:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Steven, I had an exact same occurance that as long
as I went back to a particular previous version the drive
had -no- known troubles . But the minute I tried one of
Gerards newer releases It would hang in this manner .

The Drive gave out about 2 months into the discussions
with Gerard . Backup everything & test the -hell- out
of the disk & see if any errors crop up , bonnie is a
real good disk exerciser . Hth

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> > I applied this patch to 124pre-2 and built a kernel for my problem Alpha
> > UDB box. Much better! Rather than blowing up with incessant 'time out'
> > messages (with power-down the only recovery option), it intermittantly
> > spits out a slew of them and bounces back for more.
>
> Well, the honeymoon is over. After a brief respite, the 3.0i driver on my
> UDB is back to the old behavior. I (again) re-installed the 2.5f
> driver and it works fine. I am not seeing the same misbehavior reported
> by others (message reject, etc.), it's a simple device timeout on the
> Maxtor 540SL drive that seemingly never recovers.
>
> Originally, I thought that the 2.5f driver was also broken with 2.1.124,
> but it was my error in configuration - sorry for the misleading input.
>
> Steve
>

> -

, JimL