Re: 'disposable' dirty pages [was: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1]

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:03:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> If libc has to catch a page fault and pull apart thing in order to
> work out which page it was, this code won't be portable across
> architectures (I have code for manual paging on x86 somewhere). Also
> - how does libc tell the application that this area of memory needs
> to be recreated?

if it's the libc malloc cache itself, then there need to be no action,
other than to remove that given area from the malloc cache. Due to the
asynchron behavior, more complex uses might be tricky.

> Also - how does this differ from above, assuming here libc catches
> ENONMEM and free's the 'disposable mappings' itself?

ENOMEM: 'oh, we are short on memory in general'
disposable mappings: 'we had to dispose this and that mapping'

but probably it's too complex on the application side.

-- mingo