Re: sound problems with 2.1.122-2.1.124

Thomas Molina (tmolina@probe.net)
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 09:57:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Edward Welbon wrote:

> Bummer about real audio not working with 2.1.12X, the drivers from 4Front
> Technologies (www.opensound.com) seem to work with 2.1.12X and rvplayer
> (though they are not free).

Is it worth pursuing what is different about my setup which allows
rvplayer to work with 2.1.124?

I went directly from 2.1.115 to 2.1.122 (Hey, I had 30+ days uptime
before a local thunderstorm warning forced me to shut everything off
during the warning). I had the noted problems with 2.1.122 and 2.1.123,
but now, with 2.1.124, I'm getting normal functioning from rvplayer.

My system is a K6-166 running RedHat 5.1. Soundcard is a PAS16. I
compile kernels monolithically. I'm using an RPM for RedHat
(rvplayer-5.0-3). This RPM is, I believe, a RedHat-licensed commercial
version of rvplayer. That may be the difference, but RedHat has not
issued an update recently. The package I have was installed on 6 Aug.

I use rvplayer daily for listening to a daily radio program on
http://www.nascar.com/theater/