Re: How about XGA/XGA-2 or 8514/A-consoles?

laird@sigkill.org
7 Oct 1998 14:57:27 -0000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.03.9810071450430.21684-100000@mercator.cs.kuleuven.ac.be> you write:
>On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, David Weinehall wrote:
>> I know that it is possible to have both a VGA and a MDA-screen hooked up
>> using mdacon. But with XGA, XGA-2 & 8514/A you can also have 2 graphic
>> adapters that does not collide. (Even three, if you add an MDA-adapter
>> as well).
>>
>> Is there any way that I could use 8514/A or XGA/XGA-2 for more consoles?
>> Kernel-hacking demands several sources simultaneously, and my IBM PS/2
>> 55sx (386/16 without FPU) just isn't fast enough to run X...
>
>Feel free to write xgacon (based on vgacon and mdacon?).

It won't be easy, at least for the 8514/a. It's a rather different
beast than the VGA cards you're used to. The *only* way to access the
8514/a is through its graphics processor. There is no direct
framebuffer access, which would make porting the fbcon code pretty
tricky.

Scott