Re: 'disposable' dirty pages [was: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1]

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:42:36 +1300

On Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 10:45:39AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> It doesn't. It would only mark free'd pages as disposable. Pages
> that the application is not supposed to use anyway. Of course, I'm
> not quite sure how much better this would be compared to having a
> malloc library that returns unused pages to the OS.

OK - this makes sense now. I still don't see how libc gets told about
this portably though....

> Well, disposing of disposable pages can be done without application
> involvement (at the OOM time) which makes a big difference since
> when you're out of memory, your application's ENOMEM handler would
> probably fail.

We just need to send ENOMEM before it gets super-critical, sysctl
tunable with sane defaults perhaps.

And assumnig thats possible - why not put a ENOMEM handler in libc
that actively returns pages to the kernel?

-cw