Re: [OT] RE: UDI and Free Software (fwd)

ketil@ii.uib.no
09 Oct 1998 09:07:04 +0200

Lauri Tischler <lauri.tischler@efore.fi> writes:

> Alex Buell wrote:

>> (and before you suggest disassembling, it's illegal)

> Since when ?

Since long. In USA, reverse engineering in order to discover ``trade
secrets'' is apparently illegal. Laws vary elsewhere, in particular,
the EU allows reverse engineering in order to find out how things work.

> Disassembly is an Timehonored Way (tm) to find out how things work.
> What do they do if you 'open the box', void warranty ?

Just because you bought and paid for something, doesn't mean you are
allowed to use it any way you want, or even look at it from an unusual
angle. Go figure.

~kzm