Re: TCP/IP one->many

Thomas 'Dent' Mirlacher (dent@cosy.sbg.ac.at)
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:27:55 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Tom Mills <tmills@qualix.com> said:
> > I am tasked with finding the most efficient way of doing a one to many
> > send using TCP stream sockets. Has anyone done this in userland, kernal
> > land ? Can I modify the TCP stack to send to one or more targets for
> > every write ?
>
> IP multicast...

ah well, but you can't use TCP for that task ... you've to use multicast
on top of UDP ... and on top of that perhaps you like to use some reliable
multicast protocols - and this has been already done in user and kernel-space.

greetings

++dent

--
Thomas Mirlacher	Student of ComputerScience, University of Salzburg
dent@cosy.sbg.ac.at	http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~dent