Re: [OT] RE: UDI and Free Software (fwd)

Graeme Gregory (ggregory@bitbox.co.uk)
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 10:15:02 +0100

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Marcin Dalecki wrote:

> > Just imagine how EASY it would be to REENGINE a UDI driver written
by a
> > sucking vendor, which continuisly defeats sourcecode/docs
realese!!!!!!!!
> > It would be almost like having the most accurate doc's there in
front of

> How? How are you going to do that with a binary-only driver?
Enquiring
> minds would like to know. (and before you suggest disassembling, it's
> illegal)

According to an expert in copyright law under UK copyright there is no
provision to stop you dissassembling a piece of computer code. In fact
there
is a clause under UK copyright law allowing you to basically do what you
want with a peice of code as long as you are evaluating it or fixing
bugs
in it. Forget the nonsense license details on most software they are
worthless.

I would have thought another trick under UDI would be a debug version
that
logged all API calls allowing you to reverse engineer reads and writes
from
the hardware with greater ease. This is the sought of thing we do with
ICE's
in the embedded world.

Graeme