Re: Help clear up a misconception about SMP systems

Fri, 9 Oct 1998 16:42:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Alex Buell wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Can you help clear up a misconception about SMP that I have at the
> moment?
>
> When two or more processors come into play, what is the increase rate of
> processing over a single processor? Is does it works out as 100% increase
> over that of a single processor or is it limited by other factors such as
> caching, disk i/o or whatever?
>
> I'm guessing it's a 100% increase.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex.

If you are not I/O bound, a two processor machine scales quite
nicely to give you very nearly two times the performance. However
adding additional pairs of processors does not scale linearily.

I don't remember the numbers, but basically you run into a wall
where additional processors don't do anything. I think, with
the current bus bandwidth, this wall is 8 processors.

If you are I/O bound, (many kinds of database programs) adding
additional processors don't help much.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.123 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).