Re: linux 2.1.120-.125 still breaking realplayer

Peter Granroth (devnull@granroth.ml.org)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 23:47:29 +0200

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 06:55:53PM -0600, LJP wrote:
> Haven't tried the devel kernel since 120, cause of this reason. Linux
> 2.1.120-.125 still breaks realplayer. and 2.1.119 does not. I have read on
> this list, that this is realplayers fault, but if so, why would 119 work and
> the later kernels not work. And since real networks does not seem to give a
> hoot about linux- it would be nice if this would be able to work again
> before the 'stable' 2.2 comes out, otherwise, linux users such as myself
> will have to use 119, or the 2.0. kernels.
> LP

Here is a fix I found on a swedish unix newsgroup:

compile the following code with
gcc -shared rvpreload.c -o libnblock.so
and put it in your realplayer directory

============ rvpreload.c ==============================
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntlbits.h>

extern int __open(const char *pathname, int flags, mode_t mode);
extern int fcntl(int fd, int cmd, long arg);

int open(const char *pathname, int flags, mode_t mode)
{
int res, rstnblk = flags & O_NONBLOCK && !strcmp(pathname, "/dev/dsp");

res = __open(pathname, flags, mode);
if (res == -1 || !rstnblk)
return res;
fcntl(res, F_SETFL, fcntl(res, F_GETFL, 0) & ~O_NONBLOCK);
return res;
}

then move the realplayer executable in your realplayer
directory to rvplayer.real and put the following script
in the same library and name it rvplayer (don't forget
to chmod +x it):

============ rvplayer start script ====================
#!/bin/sh
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/rvplayer5.0/libnblock.so
export LD_PRELOAD
exec /usr/local/rvplayer.real $*

this works well for me. (2.1.123-125)

HTH